Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Suffering, Abandonment, and the Cross - My Interview at Cobourg Alliance Church

To be honest, I have a hard time being honest. At least with people I don't know well. It's not usually because I'm ashamed of anything or hate talking about my struggles. It's usually just because I don't have the energy to engage in the long conversations that go along with opening up.

But I've found there is something so helpful about being honest - helpful for myself and others. And it's equally unhelpful to not have honest moments. I've never been as honest in front of more people than I was this past Sunday. While it was hard, there was something cathartic about it for me. And from the response I've received it seems like there is something like a contagious effect to honesty. Sometimes we just have to say it's ok to share your deepest, darkest feelings, even if they're uncomfortable. That's the only way we can move forward through the journey of pain.

I was interviewed by Pastor Ray Jones about the pain and abandonment I've felt during my journey with Julia's cancer and death. And we discussed how we can identify with Jesus on the cross in this pain and abandonment, and how we can follow his example of expression to God. We also discuss how to journey with someone who is going through intense pain and suffering.

Here's the link: http://www.cobourgalliance.ca/listen/sermon-series/passion/passion-excruciating/


Other links mentioned:

Andy's Cancer Resource Website

Kate Bowler's book:


Julia's 100 Huntley Video

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Please jump in on the conversation or just say hi!